If you're like me, you've been using Instagram as a photo-sharing platform. And if you're like me, you've been using Instagram as a way to share shots from your projects and work.
When you approach a company with your Reel on Instagram or a portfolio of work samples, they will likely want more than just the images. They may want a breakdown of your process, behind-the-scenes work and notes on the project. It's a good idea to make Reels on Instagram whenever you have a new client or project.
A Reel on Instagram is different from a magazine portfolio in that it has fewer pages, and they're not bound together. It's also different from an online portfolio because it's meant for someone sitting in front of you — i.e., they can flip through it. Reels are also not necessarily meant to showcase all of your most impressive work - sometimes, they focus on just one or two projects, so they don't overwhelm the viewer. So how do you make Reels on Instagram?
What is an Instagram Reel?
An Instagram Reel is a short pitch video between 1 and 2 minutes long, designed to attract new followers and attention to your Instagram page. Reels can be between 15-30 seconds long, and you can have up to 4 videos in the Reel. This makes it easier for brands to tell a story through video ads.
Can everyone make a reel on Instagram?
Yes, everyone can make a reel on Instagram. This is true for several reasons:
- You have to have an Instagram account before you can create a reel.
- The process of creating one is straightforward.
- It's free for everyone!
How do I make my Instagram Reel public?
While most people's Instagram pages are public, there is a way to make your profile private on the social media platform. Whether you want to share your photos only with friends or keep specific content on lockdown, this is how you can do it. As of October 2017, Instagram's Android app made it possible to switch from public to private.
- Step 1: First, you must have an Instagram account. If you don't have one yet, sign up for one here.
- Step 2: Open up the Instagram app on your Android device.
- Step 3: Tap the profile icon located in the top-right corner of your screen. Step 4: Tap on "Settings" at the bottom of the menu that appears.
- Step 5: Under "Account Privacy," tap on "Private Account." Then tap "Turn On private account." Now anyone who wants to see your photostream will have to request to follow you first.
Why Instagram Reels? Why now?
An Instagram Reel can be helpful in two main ways: Get More Engagement: A pitch video can boost your interaction with your existing audience members. In one study, participants were 50% easier to engage when watching a pitch video than viewing a profile photo. This means that they are more likely to comment on, like, or share the content from your profile after watching it.
Get More Views: The more people who watch your pitch video, the more people will see your profile when they click on the link at the end of your pitch video. Later, a study found that people who watched a pitch video were 43% more likely to follow the profile in the pitch than those who just viewed the profile picture.
How to make a Reel on Instagram?
- Click on the profile icon in the top-right corner of your Instagram app.
- Click on the square icon in the top-right corner of your profile page.
- Click "Create Story."
- Click "Create Reel."
- Select up to four videos you'd like to include in your story.
- Click "Done."
- Enter a title for your story and click "Continue."
- Add a caption, then tap "Next" in the bottom-right corner of the screen to continue editing your story.
- Click "Next" again to see your Reel's preview.
- Tap "Save" in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap "Done" when you're finished
How to make reels on Instagram with photos (gallery)
- Make certain the Instagram app is up to date to the present-day version.
- Go to the "Reels" tab and tap the camera icon on the top-right to create a brand new Reel.
- Swipe up on the display or faucet the "Gallery" icon on the bottom-left corner.
- Tap the drop-down menu on the top-left corner to add images from a particular image album.
- Tap a folder (including favourites, selfies) and pick an image you need to feature for your Reel.
- Choose the time length for which a selected image should appear in the image Reel. To do so, drag the sides of the slider and decrease the seen time (from the default five seconds).
- Tap the "Add" button to feature the picture for your Reel.
- To upload greater snapshots, genuinely repeat the above steps from step #3 to step #7.
- After including all of the snapshots, select the "Audio" button to feature a song for your Reel.
- Tap the "Preview" button. On the subsequent display, upload text, effects, stickers, or voice-over for your clip if required.
What's the best way to watch Instagram Reels?
The main way is to go to Instagram.com/yhustlworks/reels or click on the profile icon in the top left corner of your home screen, then click on "Reels." When you're viewing your reels, there are a few ways you can get around through the videos. You can always swipe right and left, or tap left or right. You can also use the forward and back arrows at the bottom of each video.
You'll also have the option to "play" a video all at once or "play" it one part at a time. If you choose to play it one part at a time, you will hear an audio countdown each time you move on to the next part of that video. If you choose to play it all at once, then you won't hear an audio countdown.
Instagram Reels Do's and Don'ts
Instagram has become a great social network for personal online businesses or side hustle. Its visual nature, ease of use, and the addition of video all make it perfect for promoting your brand. In addition, many brands are using Instagram to bring their customers closer by showcasing behind-the-scenes features or product information that wasn't previously available.
Hence, I've decided to share some dos and don'ts when it comes to creating an Instagram Reel.
Do: Be creative. An Instagram Reel is not just a series of pictures in chronological order. You can be creative with how you present your Instagram content. It does not have to be in the form of a slideshow; you can make it vertical, horizontal, or even interactive!
Don't: Make it too long. No one wants to watch an endless video on their phone screen! Video length is important on any media platform, but especially so on mobile. It's recommended that you keep your video under 60 seconds.
Instagram can be an amazing personal online business tool, but it takes a lot of focus to learn all the tricks and where you should be focusing your time. So drop a comment below and let us know how you're using Reels?
More social media for personal online business reads:
- 100+ One word Instagram captions
- How to use story Pins (Pinterest) in Canada
- Getting Verified on Instagram in 4 easy steps
- What does the acronym TLDR mean?
- The Google my business verification guide