You found out that YOU or SOMEONE on your small business team has COVID.... what do you do?
Always wear a mask when you're not with your immediate family/household, but especially at your work office and here's why.
If you're a small business owner, chances are you have quite the small team (between 1-5 people).
Think about it like bowling, usually if one goes down, they all do (or at least the ones closest to those that got hit).
How getting COVID works
So how does one get COVID? According to the Government of Canada:
COVID-19 spreads from an infected person to others through respiratory droplets and aerosols created when an infected person coughs, sneezes, sings, shouts, or talks.
Here's what you need to know if you, or someone in your small business gets COVID:
- Symptoms: Some people don't show all of the symptoms, however the biggest confirming COVID symptom seems to be the fever *quarantine starts & should last 10 days from feeling symptoms*
- Contact: If you've been in direct contact with someone who has confirmed they tested positive for COVID *quarantine starts & should last 14 days from contact* (ie. this also applies to travelling)
- Test: Do a self-assessment for next steps and book a COVID test if you want to be sure (usually if you know you have symptoms or you know you made contact)
- Quarantine: Stay at home for your quarantine period (10-14 days) and ensure only those who live with you are in contact with you.
Sometimes you can have symptoms before actually knowing, or maybe you've been told you had direct contact with someone you know who tested positive from COVID-19. Either way
How getting COVID affects your business
If you thought COVID was already doing the most, it really hits different when you, or someone close to you, tests positive for COVID.
Here's why COVID impacts your business and could result in losing some cash (and definitely productivity):
- Unable to drop off customer orders or schedule pickups
- Unable to manufacture products (without a team)
- Delays operations at least 10 days
And if you haven't noticed, a lot of these issues could be resolved if you built a system within your business by having a team. As entrepreneurs, you THINK you have to do everything on your own. But you don't have to carry all of that weight by yourself. Having a team means you have fail-safe ways to protect your self, family & friends, and your business. It takes a community!
How to reduce your chance of getting COVID
We know there's the typical "wash your hands, sanitize your hands & wear a mask" protocol. But here are some extra precautions you should take (and yes, this all sucks)...
- ALWAYS* wear a mask when you are outside of your home and within 2m of another person (and 100% of the time when in a closed space)
- If you have staff that help you with the business, try to keep distanced and/or use the shared space at different times
- Keep sanitizer with you at all times (keep one each in your bag and car)
- Schedule curbside pickups from CanadaPost with staff vs dropping them yourself (discounted rates if using Shopify)
- Offer curbside pickup if you have an office space
- Stay your A&$ at home! But seriously...
We hope that everyone stays safe during these times of Lockdown. And sometimes, even when you're as safe as you can be, you might get COVID and you can't beat yourself up about it. Do what you need to do (quarantine and keep others safe) and be good to yourself until you've recovered.
Remember, let's (stay safe so we can) get sh*t done, together.